Level: Bachelor Semester-Fall Year: 2016
Programme: BHM Full Marks: 100
Course: Food Production and Patisserie (III) Pass Marks: 45
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions. 10*2
- Explain invalid cooking.
- What are the functions of menu.
- Explain the importance of convenience foods.
- List down the equipments used in Indian cuisine.
- Explain pasteurization and name three food items preserved using this method.
- Define “temporary kitchen”.
- Explain garde manger.
- Explain dhuwadar.
- Explain sweets, desserts and puddings.
- Explain different types of breakfast.
Descriptive answer questions
Attempt any six questions. 6*10
- Draw the layout of bakery and confectionery kitchen and describe this section.
- a) Make a neat sketch of the door-type dishwasher and describe the working procedures. b) Differentiate between door type and conveyor belt-types dish washer.
- Write the recipe and preparation method for any one type of Nepalese dessert.
- What are the features of Nepalese cuisine? List down the equipments used in Nepalese cuisine.
- Draw the flow cycle of convenience foods and explain each stage of the cycle.
- Explain North Indian Cuisine and sketch the menu framework of four courses North Indian menu with explain.
- Describe the concept and objectives of menu planning.
Case study 20
18. Read the case situation given below and answer the questions that follow:
Menu engineering worksheet is an evaluation format used by Food and Beverage and executive Chef to prepare the sales report for any particular food outlet. The format consists of several columns under different headings as illustrated below.
The given format belongs to “The Spice Route” which is a fine dining restaurant in Pokhara.
Answer the questions below:
- Different Menu sings are used during evaluation of food items on the menu card. Indicate and describe the sings.
- Give your suggestions to bring about popularity and profitability over slow moving food items as seen in the worksheet.
- Explain the role of menu engineering as marketing tool.
Menu Engineering Worksheet
|Name of Outlet Spice Route Restaurant||Date||Month||Year|
|Name of Food Item||Item Cost Price Rs.||Item Selling Price Rs.||Difference Rs.||Total Cover||Total Sale Rs.||Profit Rs.||Category of profit||Menu Sign|
|Warm Chicken Salad||350||1200||850||30||36000||25500||High||Star|
|Sprouted Beans and Tofu Salad||225||700||475||20||14000||9500||High||Star|
|French Onion Soup||540||800||260||40||32000||10400||Low Profit||Plow Horse|
|Cream Soup with your choice of garnish||225||600||375||15||9000||5625||Very low Profit||Dog|
|Fried Fish and Chips||525||825||300||20||16500||6000||Very Low Profit||Dog|
|Veal Provencale||632||1058||426||15||15870||6390||Low Profit||Plow Horse|
|Vegetable Burger||325||650||325||20||13000||6500||Low Profit||Plow Horse|
|Spaghetti||300||550||250||20||11000||5000||Low Profit||Plow Horse|
|Pork chops Charcutiere||550||800||250||15||12000||3750||Very Low Profit||Dog
|Mutton Rogan-e-Josh||550||900||350||30||27000||10500||Low Profit||Dog
|Chicken Cheese Cake||450||1200||750||7||8400||5250||Low Popularity||Plow Horse|
|Velvety Cheese Cake||150||400||250||25||10000||6250||High Profit||Star|
|Chocolate Mousse||125||400||275||30||12000||8250||High Profit||Star|
|Apple Pie a la Mode||300||650||350||40||26000||14000||High Profit||Star|