Level: Bachelor Semester-Spring Year: 2016
Programme: BHM Full Marks: 100
Course: Food Production and Patisserie (II) Pass Marks: 45
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions. 10*2
- What are the four seasonings and flavorings used in Chinese cuisine?
- What do you mean by caviar?
- Define characterizes and their uses.
- Explain seafood and its types.
- Write down the quality sign of meat.
- What are offals?
- Write names of equipments used in bread making.
- Classify the fish with suitable examples.
- What do you mean by marzipan?
- Define hors d’ oeuvre with examples.
Descriptive Answer Questions 6*10
Attempt any six questions
- Introduce the Chinese cuisine, its features, special dishes and cooking methods.
- Define salad. Classify it with the appropriate guidelines.
- What are the faults in bread making?
- Explain the slaughtering process of animals and the slaughtered animals’ meat categorization.
- Classify the poultry. Give the sizes of chicken, their uses the quality.
- What are the various cuts of fish? Mention the consideration while purchasing fish.
- What are sponges and cakes? Write the principles of making basic sponge.
Case Analysis 20
18. Read the case and answer the question that follow:
A commies chef working in a hotel kitchen was walking past a deep fat fryer carrying a box of potato peelings when his foot slipped from under him, as he reached out to steady himself he plunged his arm into hot oil. He sustained full thickness burns to his hand and arm and further burns to his face due to the oil splashing onto him. As a result he underwent surgery and was off work for almost five months. At the time of the accident he had been wearing toe-capped chef boots.
An investigation by the Environment Health Officer (EHO) found that there had been problems on a daily basis with water pooling on the floor around the dishwasher, vegetable preparation are and steamers. The employers said that they were due to leaks and mi-operation of the dishwasher by staff. The company had a slip and trips risk assessment and also undertook monthly checks. These indicated that the condition of the floor and its resistance to slips was poor and mentioned the presence of water on the floor. But despite these checks and staff complaints effective solutions were not implemented.
The inspector concluded that there had been a continuing problem with on the floor bath before and after the accident, it presented a serious slipping hazard and this issue had never been properly addressed, this led the decision to prosecute. The company was charged with failing to undertake a suitable risk assessment and put in place a safe system of work. The company pleaded guilty and was fined Rs. 10,000.
- What kind of lesson did the employers learn and what can they do in future?
- Suggest the employees how they need to keep the vegetable preparation area and dish washing area in order to prevent from accident.
- State other factors of accidents occurred in the kitchen except slipping and burning.