Level: Bachelor Semester –Spring Year: 2016
Programme: BHM/BBA/BBA-BI/BBA-TT/BCIS/BHCM Full Marks: 100
Course: Principles of Management Pass marks: 45
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Section “A” 10*2
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions.
- List the emerging issues and challenges for today’s managers.
- Show your acquaintance with the term “corporate social responsibility”.
- Explore the essence of contingency theory o management.
- What are the steps involved in planning.
- What do you mean by group decision making.
- List out two major reasons that employees resist to changes.
- List out the characteristics of bureaucratic organization.
- Specify the techniques of enhancing effective organizational communication.
- Conceptualize “Total Quality Management”.
- How do you interpret organizational development?
Descriptive Answer Questions 6*10
Attempt any six questions.
- Do all managers at all levels require to possess all types of managerial skills equally/ illustrate your with suitable examples.
- Formal planning and decision making under certainty lead to performance enhancement. In this light of this statement explain the importance of formal planning and decision making under certainty.
- Define organizing. Explain its process and the emerging issues behind it.
- Why is employee motivation necessary? Briefly explain the techniques of employee motivation.
- What are the difference between centralization and decentralization? In which conditions/situation would centralization of authority be more appropriate?
- Change is inevitable. What forces bind change in organization? How would you overcome the resistance to change? Explain.
- What are the basic purpose of organizational communication? Describe the various types of communication in organization.
Case Analysis 20
18. Read the scenario and answer the question that follows.
Mr. Ashwin Lal, holding a post of chief production controller in ensuring a quality product to foster the new cum innovative product attributes for the company named Suji Confectionaries Pvt. Ltd. (SCPL). He was quiet popular among the members in the company since he started his job from the very inception of the company which was 15 years back. Now the company is mainly headed by the chief executive officer Mr. Abraham Lohani who has got the vision to set up a big industry covering not only the Cadburys and biscuits but also to diversify in the field of breads and cakes. He is employing 66 staffs in total where they are involved in production, operation and maintenance department in manufacturing site located in Chitwan. The head office is in Kathmandu having two division namely marketing and human resource. The overall control of manpower is totally exercised by the head office. The demand of the products in the market is analyzed by the head office through which the production is done accordingly.
Even though the manufacturing plant at Chitwan was headed by the branch manager named Biswa Karki, it seemed to create the problem in the site regarding the excessive disagreement between the management and the workers regarding their job security and pay rises. Mr. Karki possessed a benevolent type of leadership style in behaviour. The skilled employees were performing in their capacity facing the highly sophisticated technology by using technical skills in their operations where as the semi-skilled employees were performing in the areas of simper jobs of manual nature like packing and loading. Slowly and gradually it was seen that the workers in the factory was not highly motivated to perform at their level best. Their efficiency was not up to the mark. Due to the inequitable pay and benefits to the workers it made the employees to go under a strike for some days.
When CEO came to know about such situation about the strike, he immediately left for Chitwan and tried to know about the full case. For the time being he gave the responsibility to Mr. Ashwin in order to look after the head office for some weeks. This made Mr. Ashwin a sense of ownership to handle all the matters for that time but the time and situation changed where he was not able to take final decisions until and unless the CEO permits regarding the credit terms to the new clients. He made an attempt to take his own decision since it was a great deal from clients and consulting the CEO would make it late. Some part of the advance payment was made by the clients but the degree of trust with him was not bonded by Mr. Ashwin. This made the unrecovery of debts from the clients for a month or so which made the financial condition to weaker.
CEO found that the quality of working environment was the major factor behind it to which he was trying to solve out. As the production process stopped for a couple of weeks it made the sales lower and gradually higher competition existed in the market where new product feature were introduced by the competitors at the very moment. This made SCPL’s market share to come down as per what it was having earlier. The CEO was making a full attempt to manage such situation and said, “I need to look out some ways to solve the problems”.
- What were the major problems behind SCPL’s market share to go down? If you were the CEO, how would you plan to overcome the situation?
- Do you think the working environment was not suitable in the site or was ith the problem with Mr. Biswa? Give reasons.
- Looking at the existing organizational structure of SCPL’s what type of changes do you want to make in the structure. Construct it.
- Prepare a SWOT analysis for SCPL and interpret the result there from.