Level: Bachelor Semester – Fall/1st Year: 2016
Programme: BHM Full marks: 100
Course: Fundamental of Tourism & Hospitality Pass marks: 45
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Very Short Answer Questions
Attempt all the questions.
- What are the major components of tourism? Explain.
- Write any two economic impact of tourism.
- Discuss the important of hotel in the tourism industry.
- What are the differences between management contract and franchise?
- Name some stars hotels of Nepal with their star rank.
- What do you understand by institutional Catering? Discuss.
- Explain the concept of ethics and social responsibility in the hospitality industry.
- What are the core areas of hotels?
- How would you differentiate between international and domestic tourism? Discuss.
- State the different downtown hotel and a franchise?
Descriptive Answer Questions
Attempt any six questions:
- What is the control system in hotel and how it helps to achieve the organization goals?
- How is tourism and hospitality interrelated? Discuss with diagram.
- Discuss in details the ethical issue in hospitality industry.
- How important is recreation to human wellness? Also discuss the factors that affect an individual’s decision to participate in recreational activities?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a franchise?
- Briefly, explain about revenue center department of hotel.
- Explain food service industry with example.
Read the following case and answer to the given question:
Couple of years ago, when I was back home on summer, KFC and pizza hut had just opened and it was the newest buzz in the capital, Kathmandu. There were pictures in the local newspaper of people lined up out the door to the sidewalk to get a taste of the “fancy” new chain that had just opened. Although, it was only 20 minutes away from where I living, I chose not to participate in it and promised myself that I would never eat in KFC when I am in home. For me, it was simple logic. I did not see the point in eating in a foreign chain restaurant when I could eat in local restaurants that are opened by Nepalese. It was a matter of supporting local restaurant business (and the food taste better and it’s cheaper to eat in local restaurants). KFC did not last long and it was shut down last year. In a way, I was kind of happy due to shut down because I feel that there is no need for more foreign chain restaurant but rather investment in businesses that already exists in the country. KFC and pizza hut were only major fast food chains in Nepal. However, there are many “western” style food restaurant opened by locals.
a) Opening of American food brand in Nepal, was it really worthy?
b) Among western food brand and a local restaurant. Which one do you prefer? Justify it with statement.
c) What are the advantages and disadvantages of fast food chain in context to Nepal?
d) How can we encourage local restaurant to develop business in Nepal?