Level: Bachelor Semester-Fall Year: 2017
Programme: BHM Full Marks: 100
Course: Business Communication for the Hotel Industry Pass Marks: 45
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words as far as practicable.
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Attempt all the questions.
1. Answer any two. 2*15
- Write a letter to a guest answering his/her enquiry conference facilities in the hotel where you work. Use the persuasive techniques you have read.
- Why do you think structuring information is extremely important in business writing? Discuss the principles of structuring information that you have read.
- Describe a luxury bedroom in the hotel where you work using some of these words:
mini-bar blanket duvet
writing paper trouser press air-conditioning
bedside lamp flowers laundry bag
personal safe centre light switch
2. Answer any five of the following: 5*10
- What linking devices work best in the business document/ discuss them.
- What are the criterions we can use to evaluate the content of a business text? Explain each of them in brief.
- Put these phrases into the correct order to complete letter of confirmation to Ms. Sung
……Dear Ms Sung ….Arrival; 15th July Departure: 17th July
……Thank you for your email of… ….Room rate: $99 per night
……Your new reservation as follows ….we look forward
……we are pleased to confirm ….Room type: Single room
…..to welcoming you on the 15th July …kind regards,
….Confirmation; Ju 15 32 B 393
4. Compose a conversation between you and a guest about the services offered in your hotel.
5. Complete the following questions using the suitable words or phrases:
What time ______the fitness center close?
___ ___ the lasted check out time, please?
Is the laundry ____ ____ ? I need these things by tonight.
Is room service ___? I know it’s a bit ___
When ___ the bar___?
6. Write a paragraph describing a layout of front office (reception) of the hotel where you work. Highlight the main attractive things.
3. Give short and pertinent answer to any ten question: 10*2
- What is a good length of a paragraph in business writing?
- Should we always follow the suggested steps? Why? Why not?
- What is the good structure of paragraph?
- What are the criticisms of business writing? List them.
- Put the following words in the correct order.
- Coat hangers of plenty wardrobe There are the in
- The plants there in are any room?
- As a receptionist in a hotel how would you welcome a guest?
- Complete the direction using given phrases.
turn left, go along, go out of, on your left,
Guest :Good morning, can you help me? I’m looking for the travel agent.
Employee: Certainly it’s not far from here…..the hotel and…….and…….Avenue de Verdun for about 100 meters, and there are two travel agents……
10. Use the following phrases in your own sentence as given in the example.
Tab in the code number.
Key in, turn down, turn off, take out
11. Write the question for given answers.
a) ………..? She’s a waitress
b) …………? I’m a waiter.
12. Complete the following table.
a) Look at these problems. What would you say? Write your answer.
i) Guest: We need some towels in the bathroom.
ii) Guest: I need to sew some buttons on to a shirt.